Heidi Schmilewski and Erich Hochreuther      
Exert from Rother Company History

Parkhotel Zur goldenen Krone 1

When you are traveling in Roth on the North-West Ring you will pass the hotel or you might be waiting at the stop light in front of it, the street is still called "Bahnhofstraße" (Train Station Road), so regardless if traveling to the Train Station or anywhere in the vicinity you will come across it, now what few know is that it is worthwhile to take a look at the building or go in for a fine dessert in the Hotel Café and Pâtisserie (Konditorei, also known as Cake shop, Confiserie or Konfiserie), or visit the Beauty Salon on the premises for a Haircut.

Prior to 1891 the County of Roth and its towns didn't have posted street names  so what today is the known as the Bahnhofstrasse was called the "Augsburger Strasse" or "Augsburger Landstrasse" (the street or the country road to Augsburg), which was part of the Trade and Military Route that led from Nuremberg to Venice.

Between 1808 and 1822 a new road was built that passed through Kiliansdorf, Wernsbach and further on to Augsburg. The old "Augsburger Straße" didn't pass through the center of town, instead it ran along the outskirts, the present day route of the "Bahnhofstrasse" over the Kauernhofener Bridge and west of the Rednitz Rivers embankment towards Georgensgmuend, due to the deep sand that accompanied the river the route was difficult to travel thus the town of Roth was at one time called "Roth am Sand" the old "Augsburer Straße" has been around since medieval times. The name "Bahnhofstrasse" comes from the single track rail road line and Train Station that was built in 1849, the "Ludwig South-North Train" that was a partial train route from Pleinfeld-Schwabach.

The History of the Hotel "Zur goldenen Krone" ("The Golden Crown").
Today's Hotel "Park-Hotel The Golden Crown" located at Bahnhofstraße 6 is one of the oldest Inns in Roth. It is believed that in the late 14 Century on the Main Trade Route that in the major towns there were always two Route Inns in Roth these were the "Roter Ochse" ("Red Ox") and the other one was the "Rote Ross" ("Red Horse"). (Though rot is red in translation, Roter(s) was used dually for the color and the term route thus the "Route Inns".) Thus believed that in the town of Roth both of the Inns were located. Today what was the "Rote Roß" is now the location of the "Schwarzer Adler" and the then "Roter Ochse" is the Park-Hotel Zur goldenen Krone.

The Tavern or Inn "Roter Ochse" had the permits for brewing beer, brandy distillation, cellar, water and fishing rights. Over the course of later centuries followed permits for Backing and Stall rights. In the "Roten Roß" the Inn was more for the Nobility and Officers; the "Roter Ochsen" was primarily for merchants and their entourage. The Merchants gathered together at the Inn to create larger traveling parties to defer and fend off thieves and bandits that hovered along the trade route into Nuremberg which made the Inn one of the most important address in the town. Starting from the early beginning of these gatherings at the Inn, where wealthy and prosperous travelers met, played a major role in Roth's economy, and thus giving it part of the industrial background it has today.

Page 2

Quite often it so happened that Inn owners had to deal with their Inns being burnt down in whole or partially, they would then have to rebuild and move forward, this is no exception to the present day Parkhotel Zur goldenen Krone, if examined closely one will notice that the Hotel grounds are higher than the other surrounding buildings that border the hotel this is due to the distribution of the ruins prior to the rebuilding of the Hotel on the hotels grounds. Taking a look into the "Steuerkataster" (Tax Register) for the grounds of the Inn one finds that the Inn was not just the Inn that one sees today, it consisted of the buildings, gardens, fields, meadows, fishing permits, which were taxed with royalties and corn to the town.

A scetch taken from the Town Records of the Land Boundaries showing the Hotel grounds being split by the Brewery that ran accross the borders. The Main house being the 192 looking number with the stables in the upper portion of the lot.

The buildings of the old "Kronenwirtschaft", consisted of a two story Main house on the street front, stables, a barn and a large brewery in behind the main house, as seen in the drawing made in the "Rother Katasterplan" (Roth Town Land Registry) in 1823  The plan only shows a portion of the property. The property had the plot number 162 in earlier documents, it was then changed to 174 looking at the drawing one can see that it was changed making it look like the plot number would now be 192 or 193.

The Cellar of the "Kronenwirtshaus" are believed to have been located where today the town square is located, in addition the Inn also had a summer cellar location on the Nuremberger Strasse with the plot numbers 416 and 417 known by earlier generations as the "Terrassenkeller" (terrace cellar) the actual building date of the celler cannot be determined it is however noted in the year 1820 as belong to the owner of the Inn, at the time Balthasar Fuchs, the upper levels of the building were rented to the Catholic Church in 1855 for Worship Services on the 20th of May 1855 the rooms were renamed to "Sommerkeller" in  dedication to the Evangelist Johannes. Due to the Inns ownership change in 1859 the lease with the Catholic Church was terminated the Congregation moved in January 1860 to the earlier "Plättsaal"(Platelet Hall) of the Stieberschen Wire Factory located on "Neuen Gässchen" (Street Name).

The "Terrassenkeller" was sold to a Mr. Grießmeyer. A lace maker by the name of Friedrich August Weinert petitioned to the towns magistrate on 29.3.1865 for a permit to operate a summer business on the grounds, the concession was repeatedly denied, until on 16.3.1875 Mr. Weinert recieved the concession from the District Office in Schwabach for the sale of Beer.

Page 3

Due to poor harvests conditions all over Europe since 1844 food prices were outrageous and starvation rose causing the February Revolution in France and later in the spring of 1848 making its appearance in Germany, destroying the foundations of political and moral order. In Roth, the daily business for public officials were receiving abusive and threatening letters, dealing with public denouncement of local police, along with the unrest in the streets coupled with the lack of work and famine were all fuel for what was to come next. After a town meeting where Mr. Vikar Schurd spoke on Ascension Day May 18, 1848 his speech dealing with rebellion against the state government and against public assemblies causing unrest among the public, the Mayor and also Magistrate Mr. Nusch tried to calm the crowd to mute ears causing the first riots in Roth.

On White Monday, June 11, 1848 due to the raising of Beer prices in the “Sommerkeller Böhrers” caused a public uproar, Mr. Stiel was arrested and mistreated by the police, the towns citizens freed him, known instigators in the crowd were Mr. Regnet a railway worker and the brothers Riffelmacher. The uproar climaxed on the Stone Bridge where the local military ended it. In that night leading up to June 12, 1848 a fire was set to the Inn that belonged to Johann Martin Böhrer better known as the “Kronenwirt” (Owner of the Hotel Krone) the main house along with the adjacent forge and 4 other buildings were burned to the ground. The alleged perpetrator, a stranger, was imprisoned, however was able to escape again due to the general excitement and confusion. The damage was estimated at 30,000 Florins (Guilders). It is believed that hungry railroad workers set fire to the Crown Inn, because it was rumored that distance Commissioner Baron Plechmann was living there, and they wanted to vent their anger.

The hotel as photographed in 1910, on the right corner of the Building is the Postal Symbol, the hotel was a Postmasters Stop until 1925.After the fire in 1848 the Inn/Hotel "Kronenwirt" was rebuilt in a different arrangement, style and fashion. Today’s street façade reflects the history and flair at the turn of the century, Sebastian Meier rebuilt the hotel completing the front in 1901.
A scetching of the Hotel Zur goldenen Krone dated 1899, how it looked prior to the renovations that were completed in 1901.

 

 

 

 

A photograph of the Rother Carnival Members with the Prince Couple. (similar to Mardi Gras Groups)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 1897 the „Rother Faschingsgesellschaft“ (Carnival Society similar with Mardi Gras) with Prince Pair, and „Elferräten“ (councilors’) in the first row the third person from the right is Christine Kroner the Hofdame (Maid of Honor) *Picture taken by the Photographer Franz Xaver Schröfl in the courtyard of the Hotel Krone in 1897.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Hotel Krone was a Postal Stop in the early 20th Century; A photograph of the last Post Stage Coach that carried mail to Roth in 1925 is kept in the towns archives along with a photo of the Post carrier who was photographed in the courtyard of the hotel as well. On the left side of the photograph are Heinrich Katheder and his daughter Magdalena later Magdalena Antlauf through marriage.

Page 4

History of the Owners of the Hotel/Inn “Zur goldenen Krone”. In 1714 The butcher, a Mr. Froschauer opened a Restaurant called “Zum Ochsen” thus around this time the Hotel which was named ”Zum roten Ochsen” unofficially changed the name to “Guesthouse to Golden Crown”, officially the name is recorded 1719 in the Town Registry Volume 54 page 159, 1719-1729 where Johann Michael Fuchs was named “Kronenwirt”

The Family Fuchs in the „Kronenwirtschaft“.

Johann Michael Fuchs was born in November 1690 in the town of Eysölden roughly 15 kilometers from Roth. His father Michael Fuchs was a farmer, tavern owner and licensed brewer in Eysölden, Thalmässing. Johann Michael Fuchs married Anna Däffner on January 10, 1713, she was widow of Laurentius Däffner, Innkeeper of “Gasthof zur goldenen Krone” in Roth. Through the marriage Johann Michael Fuchs took over the Hotel, Brewery and Butchery of the “Gasthaus zur goldenen Krone” with his wife he had seven children. His wife Anna died at the early age of 46 on December 19, 1727 almost two years later on October 4, 1929 married Margarete Forster from Obermichelbach and had nine children with her. Johann Michael Fuchs died May 9, 1752 at the age of 61 his second wife died 30 years later at the age of 77 on June 13, 1782.

As time went by sometime in 1752, Margarete, the widow of Johann Michael Fuchs ran the family business in the Municipal Archives for the town of Roth it is commented that only 45 Krowns were paid in taxes because the building was run down and the food surpluses were low. On August 6, 1783 the Bakery rights that belonged to Building 176a were transferred to the Hotel and in 1786 Johann Michael Fuchs, the same named son of his father took over the family business. In addition the records showed that the grounds stretched to the Rednitz River borders.

In 1800/1801 the family business was transferred to Johann Balthasar Fuchs, the son of Johann Michael Fuchs (the grandson of the first Johann Michael Fuchs). In 1809 the tax register shows the family business having brewery, distillery, bakery, innkeeper rights, having a two story main house, barn, stables, brewery/distillery, stone cellar, gardens, meadows, fields and woods, (he pays 33,5 “morning” in taxes) it also states that all businesses are and will be run in profit and that he has a small child.

In 1815 Johann Balthasar Fuchs requests a permit to lease horses “Lohnrößler”. His request is based on the declining profits due to the newly built “Augsburger Straße” that led over the Towns Market Square towards Kiliansdorf and Wernsbach instead of passing by his location thus needing new sources of income. He mentioned that his parents and grandparents held such rights for the past 100 years. The town of Roth denied his request in 1821 he requested once again, this time mentioning that only two others have such a concession and his business is completely cut off from the major trade route. If he was granted the permit or not is unclear nothing is clearly stated in the town archives.

In 1828 Johann Leonard Fuchs took over the family business, he was Innkeeper, Baker and “Zinsbauer” (A farmer that pays taxes on his lands profits) married to Anna Margareta Wiedmann. In 1829 their son Johann Heinrich Fuchs was born, Anna Margareta Fuchs died 1832, and Johann Leonard Fuchs married Margereta Friederika Katharina Engelhard from Petersgmünd born 1814 in Eysölden.

The historical cemetery of the „Kronenwirts-Family Fuchs“ is still located in the Roth Cemetery between Kreuzkirche und Steibergrab, west of the main path.

Page 5

Between the years 1845 and 1870 several owner changes occurred that still have not been verified in 1848 the author Johann Georg Mayer wrote in his book “History of the Town of Roth am Sand” reference the fire a fire at the Hotel and that Johann Martin Böhrer had acquired the Hotel in 1847. A bill of sale dated January 25, 1873 reveals that Karl Friedrich Kroner from Hof and his wife Friederika Kroner from Steben sold the Hotel to the married couple Karl Pfahler Bosch and wife Henriette Bosch, maiden name Hubel from Nördlingen, the Tavern (House number 174), with Brewery, Distillery, Stone Cellars, Bowling Lanes (Plan Numbers 363, 364, and 365) including the “Sommerkeller”.

Karl Kroner (born March 4, 1839, died May 16 1886) and his wife Henriette Kroner (born May 1, 1847, died April 13, 1936) had six children Hans (born October 19, 1871 died August 6, 1893), Friedrich (born 1873), Rosa (born June 6, 1875, died December 1, 1954), Christine "Dina" (born 1877, died May 12, 1952), Heinrich (born 1878) und Wilhelm (born March 7, 1880, died January 5, 1939).

After the untimely death of Innkeeper Karl Kroner his widow Henriette married Sebastian Meier (born March 5, 1862, died January 21 1918) from Breitenlohe and operated the family business together. Sebastian Meier was of Jewish descent, during his military service to the Sultan he worked with the Red Crescent is in Islamic culture comparable to the Red Cross organization. He was awarded a Silver Medal and Certificate from Constantinople at the suggestion of the grand vizier of Ottoman (Ottoman Era timeline of 1334).

The Innkeepers Guild playing cards in the Krone in 1902On April 17, 1891 Sebastian Meier was awarded the concession for the „Kronenwirtschaft“. In November of 1892 the Innkeepers Guild was formed in with Sebastian Meiers as CEO. The original wall paneling from this period is still present today in the Café. (Which makes it a worthwhile visit for history and antique buffs alone, not to mention the tasty goodies you get served.) At age 55 Sebastian Meier Innkeeper and Community Representative died, his wife and widow Henriette Meier (outliving her husband by 18 years living to be almost 89 years old.), along with the Innkeepers Guild, Fire Department, Catholic Journeymen's Association, Veterans Association mourned for the loss of their longtime member Sebastian Meier.

Rosa Kroner daughter of Karl and Henriette Kroner married Paul Schwarz (born December 19, 1869 died April 13 1919) who was Manager and Foreman of the „Stieberschen Drahtwerke“ (Stieberschen Cable Works), took over the Hotel Zur goldenen Krone in 1936 after the death of her Mother Henriette Kroner.

Page 6

Rosa and Paul Schwarz had three children Fritz Schwarz (born May 12, 1908, died September 2, 1929), Sebastian Schwarz and Christine Schwarz (born September 10 1916, died December 11, 2002). Their son Fritz suffered in an accidental fire while at work in the Automobile Workshop of Georg Fehling dying from his injuries at the age of 21.

Christine Schwarz married Heinz Lehnhoff (born May 31 1912, died March 28, 1982) they took over the Hotel from her mother, paying out the inheritance entitlement of her brother Sebastian. During the time that Christine and Heinz Lehnhoff owned and managed the hotel lots of the Upper Class frequently visited it including Rudolf Wöhrl. On July 20, 1973 a summer fest took place 100 years “Krone” – hospitality in Roth. Longtime and regular guests were invited to an excellent and highly acclaimed dinner; each guest received an engraved pewter beer-glass in remembrance of the event. In the mid-1970s Christine Lehnhoff closed the hotel due to health reasons.

The hotel was closed for six years then on October14, 1979 the married couple Erwin and Heidi Schmilewski from Eckersmühlen leased and reopened the Hotel with a Café and its own patisserie in the former Stationary Store.

The facade of the Parkhotel Zur Goldenen Krone as it looks today, on the right the Patisserie on the left the Café.In 1981 the Schmilewski Family paid for the renovation of the Hotel at their own expense giving it the modern interior and beautiful exterior that it has today. After the death of her husband Heinz Lehnhoff in 1982 Christine Lehnhoff (Schwarz) sold the hotel and its grounds to the Schmilewski Family in 1983. Christine Lehnhoff lived in the hotel until she moved to the “Rother Augustinum” (Senior Home) where she died at the age of 86 in 2002.

Today the Hotel „Parkhotel Zur goldenen Krone“ is visited by travelers from all over the world, the friendly atmosphere, in house patisserie and café, known for its wonderful creations, all contribute its good name, the central city location, the private garden and Café Courtyard are additional pluses.

 

 

Sources

 

- Christof Haag, Book Roth bei Nürnberg.
- Johann Georg Mayer, Book Geschichte der Stadt Roth am Sand.
- Hausgeschichten aus den Beschreibungen der Sessionsorden des Rother Carneval Vereines
- Sammlung schriftlicher Unterlagen von Familie Schmilewski
- Roth Town Archives, Tax Records 1719 - 1729 and other Records
- Jubiläumsschrift "100 Jahre katholische Pfarrkirche Roth" 1998
- Heimatblatt vom 26.11.1931, Der Terrassenkeller zu Roth

Photos:  
- Sammlung Familie Schmilewski
- Stadtarchiv Roth

Original Stand:  27.06.2008 Copyright ©  Heidi Schmilewski und Erich Hochreuther, Translation provided by Macharrys Soto

 

Reservations

per Telephone

from 07 am till 6 pm

Mondays +49 (0)171 5 23 52 75

Tuesday through Sunday

Tel. +49 (0) 9171 89 22 30

Fax: +49 (0) 9171 85 98 40

Bahnhofstr. 6

91154 Roth